Arunside Eco-Agents are children who appreciate our planet and work conscientiously to improve the environment of our school community. These Eco-Agents are dedicated and enthusiastic individuals who’s daily work recovers and develops the school’s way for better sustainability.
The Eco-Agents are elected at the beginning of each academic year by their peers and are represented by two children from each class in the KS2. Our Agents are Co-ordinated by Mrs Kalinka and Mrs Chaffe and meet twice a term to discuss all the Rs related to the care of our environment. After each meeting the Agents take the discussion and/or suggestions back to their class for whole school understanding and participation.
In 2021/22, we focussed our discussions around the effect of one-use plastic in our community.
In 2022/23, we raised awareness of the devastating impact of fast fashion on our planet, mainly affecting the poorer nations.
So far this year the Eco Agents have:
- Devised an Eco Code
- Participated in local ecological competitions
- Launched an annual School Eco Day – This year’s focus was Fast Fashion
- Had special guests from Sussex Green Living
- Created a daily rota to compost all fruit and vegetables waste from classrooms and lunch hall
- Found ways to upcycle unusable pencils, yogurt pots, yogurt lids and old book covers.
- Created an agent rota to Return, Re-use or Recycle old school stationary
- Taught students how to carry out litter picking duties on the school yard and field
- Participated with celebrations during Fairtrade Fortnight (initiating awareness about work injustice during an all school assembly)
- Helped and motivated the school community (and neighbours) to recycle batteries.
- Worked hard to bring awareness about the issues discussed at school – we sold plants, waste art and second-hand uniforms at our school’s summer fete.
Our plans now are to:
- Find better ways to be closer to a sustainable school.
- Create a link with other schools
- Connect and help the local community
- Link environmental awareness to many subjects of the curriculum